GENERAL OVERVIEW OF CENTER SCHOLARSHIPS AND ELIGIBILITY
WHO IS ELIGIBLE FOR CENTER SCHOLARSHIPS?
Applicants for all Center scholarships must be 23 or under and have participated in Center Services programming within the past year. If you are not currently connected to The Center, please visit us to find out about programs we currently offer that may meet your needs and interests, or contact Olin Winn-Ritzenberg at email@example.com.
ADDITIONAL ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
Imperial Court (ICNY) & Harry Bartel Scholarships
- Identify as LGBT, and have a record of community service.
- Be able to document enrollment in a two or four year college program by scholarship award date.
Finish A Bachelor (FAB) Scholarship
- Be a Center Services participant for a minimum of three months prior to application. Preference is given to applicants with 12 months or more continuous participation in Center programs.
- Verify completion of at least 50% of credits required for a bachelor degree (B.A. or B.S.) at the enrolled institution with a grade point average of B- or above.
- Demonstrate financial need.
All scholarship awardees will be invited to receive their award at The Center’s annual Garden Party, the Pride week kick-off celebration, in late June to receive checks and recognition, and enjoy food and fun. Attendance at Garden Party is not required to receive the award.
SCHOLARSHIP DESCRIPTIONS AND AWARD AMOUNTS
Imperial Court Scholarship Fund
This scholarship is made possible by The Imperial Court of New York, a 501c3 not-for-profit organization that has raised millions of dollars for worthy causes since its inception in 1986. The New York Court has gained recognition in the tri-state New York City region for the tireless work it has done on behalf of the gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender community. The mission of the Imperial Court of New York is to raise funds for organizations, including but not limited to those supporting the Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender community; HIV/AIDS services organizations; social service organizations and youth enrichment programs. It seeks to provide a safe, social environment for people with the same interests as those of the membership and to create and promote positive community awareness of the ideals of the International Court System.
Recipients of the Imperial Court Scholarship (ICNY) will receive $1000.
The Harry Bartel Memorial Scholarship Fund
This scholarship is an endowed fund in memory of Harry Bartel. Harry was born in Queens, NY and raised in Scottsdale, AZ. In 1991, Harry and his spouse, Brian Landeche, opened Splash Bar in Manhattan. Throughout his life, Harry was an advocate of education and concerned that LGBT youth who were separated from their families or experiencing other hurdles might not have access to secondary education. It is in his memory that his family, friends and the patrons of Splash Bar have provided this endowment.
Recipients of the Harry Bartel Memorial Scholarship will receive $2000.
FAB “Finish A Bachelor” Scholarship Fund
This scholarship is made possible by the contribution of Jeffrey Sharlach, a long-time supporter of youth programming at The Center. Sharlach has recognized that many students experience barriers mid-way in their education, and aims to support individuals who have already achieved milestones in their academic career. As such, this scholarship is geared toward participants who have successfully completed at least 50% of the bachelor degree requirements of a degree-granting accredited college or university. Priority is given to students who have participated in Center programming for at least 12 months prior to applying and who would otherwise not be able to finish their degree in a timely manner without financial aid.
Recipients of the Finish A Bachelor (FAB) Scholarship will receive $2000, renewable for a second year for any recipient who continues to make satisfactory progress toward a bachelor degree (for a total award of up to $4000).
DEADLINE AND NOTIFICATION
All applications are due by:Sunday, June 10, 2018. Late applications will not be considered. Finalists will be notified by Friday, June 15, 2018.
HOW TO APPLY FOR CENTER SCHOLARSHIPS
All applicants must:
- Complete the application form online.
- Submit a personal statement of not more than 750 words explaining why you qualify for and would benefit from the scholarship, including your financial needs.
- Please note, if selected you will be expected to provide documentation from your school that confirms your enrollment (for summer or fall of 2018) and a short bio.
FAB applicants must also upload:
- A transcript of your college courses indicating total credits completed and GPA.
PLEASE DIRECT QUESTIONS TO:
Education Services Coordinator
Youth Opportunities Coordinator