ACT UP Western New York Records
All materials were collected by Craig Klose/ACT UP of WNY. Original organization and folder titles were maintained when possible. Additions made by the archivist are indicated in brackets, i.e. […].
Scope and Content
The collection contains 5 inches of full periodicals, clippings and meeting notes/agenda. In addition, there are several full copies of state publications addressing AIDS education. Lastly, multiple correspondences between ACT UP members and State Assembly Members are contained. This collection is valuable for ACT UP history in general and grassroots organizing surrounding sex education in particular.
History or Bio
ACT UP/Western NY was active in the area surrounding Buffalo and Niagara in New York State. The organization’s history, determined from the collection, spans between 1989–1993. ACT UP/WNY was a major actor in local debates surrounding sex education in public school systems. Actions included condom distribution at high school campuses. These actions sparked widespread community debate as is evident in the local periodical clippings from the collection. In addition to local action, ACT UP/WNY showed initiative on the national level of AIDS activism.
1. [“The AIDS Bottle Project, ” Burchfield Art Center] 1 installation
2. Needle Exchange Prevention Point, Inc. Bflo. 1992-1993. ACT
UP/WNY Prevention Point NEP Funding Request, NEP info flyer,
“Break the Silence” Newsletter, Fundraising Letter, Flyer: Harm
Reduction/NEP Workshop Erie County, Community Education
3. [Clinical Trials, Sex Ed Debates] 1989-1993. The AIDS Newsletter: Jan/Feb 1992 Vol. VI No. 1, Second Annual Wish Celebration, Memo: Buffalo State College 3/31/92, The AIDS Newsletter: Jul/Aug 1992 Vol. VI No. 4, Universal Healthcare Rally Flyer, ACT UP Financial Position: 9/23/91, Minutes: Buffalo School Board Sex Ed. Action Group 9/19/91, Minutes: ENSURE Action Group 9/18/91, ACT UP Letter 9/4/91, Minutes: Ad Hoc Group on Target Bush D.C. Protests 9/18/91, ACTG 094 Summary, FDA Trial 48A, “Should I Join an HIV/AIDS Clinical Drug Trial?,” Treatments Alternatives Handout, Summary ACTG Protocol 108, AIDS Treatment News #129 7/26/91, Intro to AIDS Clinical Trials, Tony Luppino Pamphlete, C.A.S.E flyer, NYCLU Newsletter 3/4/92, Passing Fancy Flyer, Homosexy flyer (3), Letter 4/17/92, Buffalo News Article: 1/17/92, Dept. of Curriculum Evaluation and Developement 10/3/91, ACT UP Fundraising Letter, ACT UP CDC Letter, ACT UP /WNY Statement on Curriculum Policy Review Committee, Board of Ed. Memo 2/4/92, Buffalo State Record Vol. 95 #26 2/7/92, Buffalo Public Schools AIDS Ed., State Education Dept.: Health Supplement to AIDS Instruction Guide, AIDS Newsletter Vol. IV No. 4 1/90, AIDS Community Services Handout, Benedict House Pamphlet, Buffalo News Article, The AIDS Newsletter: Nov/Dec 1990 Vol. IV No. 10, The AIDS Newsletter: Jan/Feb 1991 Vol. V No. 1, The AIDS Newsletter: Mar/Apr 1991 Vol. V No. 2, AIDS Memorial Candlelight Service : 6/5/89, The AIDS Newletter: May/June 1992 Vol. VI No. 3, Article: Art + Heart, Letter to William Eaton, AIDS Clinical Trials: Misc Info, Break the Silence: June/July ’92 Vol. 1 No. 1, ACT UP Protest K-Mart Ban, The Empty Closet 9/92, Rochester Democrat and Chronicle 8/16/92: ACT UP Protest K-Mart, NYS Dept of Health: AIDS Institute Application Packet for HIV Uninsured Care Programs, Article: Condom Giveaways, Niagra Frontier AIDS Alliance News: Nov 1991 Vol. 3 No. 10, Letter from GLTF/WNY to ACT UP/WNY 11/23/91, Letter to Steven Glassman 11/91, Ellen Kennedy Pamphlet, GLTF/WNY Letter, ACT UP/WNY Financial Position 11/18/91, Rochester Democrat and Chronicle Article: 6/23/92, Letter to K-Mart CEO, Letter to Editor of Rochester Democrat and Chronicle, Worker World: Dec ’91 Vol. 33 No. 49, Workers World: Nov ’91 Vol. 33 No. 46, NYS Dept. of Labor Field Report: The Randy Salon, NYS Division of Human Rights Complaint: Thomas Bradford v. Randy Salon, ACT UP/WNY Anniversery Flyer, Shake Up Medicaid Flyer, Sexual Risk Taking Among Gay Men in Buffalo, Minutes: Sept. Action Group 8/22/91, Buffalo News: 9/11/91 article, The AIDS Newsletter: Jul/Aug 1991 Vol. V No. 4, Summary of ACTG 094, Benedict House Newsletter: Spring 1991, AIDS Clinical Trial Group Study 175 Fact Sheet, Board of Ed. Memo 11/25/91, C.A.S.E Letter, C.A.S.E Town Meeting, “Orientation to the ACTG” AIDS Clinical Trial Group, Phone Zap! Stop ACTG Trial 076, Countdown 18 Months Working Group, Craig Klose Letter, Outweek Article 3/13/91, Minutes: Outreach committee 3/27/92, Photo copy from Physician’s Desk Reference.
4. [Lewiston-Porter Mural] 1990-1991. Handwritten summary of case, Niagra Gazette:2 Articles, Boston Globe Article, The Buffalo News 9/7/90.
5. Budziszewski Gerald [CDC Campaign] 1990-1991. Ross Hewitt MD Article, Community Advisory Board Invites, ACTG Orientation Addendum 1-ACT UP/WNY and Countdown 18 Committee, Memo to Membership AIDS Service Providers Consortium WNY-Michael C. Ezie, “Community Based AIDS Research” Vanessa Merton, “Women, The AIDS Crisis and the Centers for Disease Control” Maxine Wolfe, An Overview of Previous Actions Directed at the CDC, “Dear Activist”/Consensus Statement/James Curran Postcard.
6. [Health: AIDS Instructional Guide K-12-The University of the State of New York, The State Education Dept .] 1989. State Health Instructional Manuel.
7. [Sex Education Campaign] 1990-1991. Board of Education Fliers, ACT UP/WNY Recruit Letter, “Teenagers and Sexuality Education” Questionaire-Buffalo Committee for Review of Public Policy, Buffalo Magazine 1/5/92, Metro Community News 6/16 Letters to the Ed, “No Place for Leaflets” 5/22/91, “Concerns on Teen Sex,” The Record “AIDS Affects Students” 12/1/90, Article “AIDS Education Works.”
8. [State Assembly/Craig Klose Letters] 1991. Letter adressed to Klose from Member of Assembly Joseph T. Phillittere, Letter addressed to Klose from speaker Mel Miller.
9. [Flyers/Misc Newspaper Clippings] 1986-1991. “Debbie Does Dams” flyer, “Heaven or Hell” flyer, “La Ronde” pamphlet, ‘Art + Heart” invitation, “Free Condoms” clipping, “Mod Madness” poster, Worls AIDS Day” flyer, ACT UP/WNY Fundraising flyer, Letter-Craig Klose, The Record 2/15/91, Intnl Women’s Day flyer, “Crisis in WNY” Craig Klose, Generation Magazine 4/16/91, Volume Vol. 4 No. 7, Buffalo News clipping 7/2/86, “Insects” clipping, “Love is Latex” poster, “AIDS Activism Made Easy!”, “Equity Fights AIDS” benefit flyer, The Sque[…]ealer! Winter 1990/1991.
10. [Meeting Minutes/Agendas] 1990. 12/2/90 agenda w/ attachements, “Committee Contacts” photocopy, 12/16/90 w/ 12/2/90 minutes and attachments, 3/27/92 minutes, 4/22/91 CDC Working Group Handout.