Gay Friends and Neighbors, Ltd. (Brooklyn) Records
Collection was donated by Stephen E. Novak, October 8, 1992, one of the members of Gay Friends & Neighbors / Brooklyn.
“Research in the membership forms should be conducted in such a manner as to preclude the identification of individuals mentioned in the records” written by the donor.
Scope and Content
Box 1 consists of membership applications with information collected on each member e.g. types of activities they would like to do, go to a museum,a dance, or activities they would like to volunteer for e.g. editing the newsletter, decorating for the dance, clean up after the dance, just to name a few. Box 2 is more general in content, consisting of minutes of meetings, newspaper articles about GFN/Brooklyn and flyers about events.
History or Bio
Gay Friends & Neighbors/Brooklyn was established in 1983. GFN was a social group of about 400 people living primarily in the Brooklyn area. The main purpose of the group was to provide the Gay & Lesbian Community with a social outlet. This consisted of gatherings which were held on alternate Mondays throughout the year in Park Slope.
Membership list restricted for 30 years.
1. [ All Club Members ( as of 9/24/89 ) Master List ]
2. A -> F [ alphabetical listings of members ]
3. G -> L
4. M -> R
5. S -> Z
6. [ Photographs taken by Founder Dave Cantrell between 1984 – 1988 ]
7. Core Groups – mins., agenda Financial Statements
8. Newsletters / Calendars
9. Other GFNs
11. Membership Directories, etc.
12. Press Releases
13. Newspaper Clippings, Articles
14. Gay Pride Festivals: Ad Journals / Programs
15. Gay Pride Festival: Publicity, Flyers, etc.