Year In Review
2019 brought our community both challenges and reasons to celebrate. As we enter 2020, we look back at
2019 and reflect on the progress we’ve made and prepare ourselves for the coming year.
With your help, The Center provides a space for the LGBTQ community to find support, organize and build
connections. Our doors are open 365 days a year to welcome people like Gene, E, Belize and Luis, all looking
for community and connection and finding it within our walls.
Gene works to support and uplift LGBTQ young people and others in the community through their leadership in Center Youth.
E connects with and educates other LGBTQ immigrants at The Center, sharing his experiences to empower others.
Belize came to The Center seeking a strong sense of community and identity, and today helps connect fellow community members to much-needed resources.
Luis found support and connection at The Center, and his work as an immigration lawyer helps LGBTQ immigrants thrive.
In 2019 we made significant progress for LGBTQ rights in New York, and celebrated our community’s legacy of fighting for justice.
Mobilizing for Advocacy
With support from partners across the state, our RiseOut advocacy program mobilized thousands of community members and allies to demand that New York State advance LGBTQaffirming policies, after seven years of inaction.
- Secured the passage of laws that prohibited discrimination on the basis of gender identity & expression
- Banned the use of conversion therapy on minors
- Ended the use of the gay/trans “panic” defense in court
- Brought state abortion laws up-to-date with Roe v. Wade
- Required all state buildings, including schools, to have gender-neutral single occupancy bathrooms.
Celebrating our Community
In June, we commemorated the 50th anniversary of the Stonewall Riots by launching Stonewall Forever: an interactive, “living” monument to 50 years of Pride. It expands the reach of the Stonewall National Monument into a shared digital experience that is accessible worldwide via desktop, mobile and a free augmented reality app. We created the experience in order to amplify unheard voices and engage new generations in the story of the Stonewall Riots and the LGBTQ rights movement that grew out of them. Stonewall Forever was created through a partnership between The Center and the National Park Service, with the support of Google.org and in collaboration with Stink Studios.
We couldn’t do any of this without you.
Management and general
Statement of Financial Position as of June 30, 2019 and 2018
|Cash and cash equivalents||2,416,206||2,641,311|
|Government grants receivable, net||1,800.73||1,384,300|
|Unconditional promises to give, net||1,980,038||2,161,671|
|Other receivables, net||34,723||23,122|
|Prepaid expenses and other assets||472,956||516,568|
|Property, plant and equipment, net||16,771,870||17,031,974|
Liabilities and Net Assets
|Accounts payable and accrued expenses||$1,578,622||$864,393|
Statement of Activities and changes in net assets for years ending
June 30, 2019 and 2018
Revenue and Support
|Legacies and bequests||568,586||602,983|
|Management and general||1,577,824||1,386,729|
|Change in Net Assets||$(394,663)||$2,393,079|
|Net Assets, beginning of year||$24,352,104||$21,959,025|
|Net Assets, end of year||$23,957,441||$24,352,104|
The Center would like to recognize the generosity of our Leadership Society members whose support makes our life-saving and life-changing programs possible.
Young Leaders Impact Society
Powsner Cooperberg Legacy Society (PCLS)
The Center gratefully acknowledges our PCLS members whose inclusion of The Center in their estate plans ensures The Center’s long-term future.
2019 Annual Corporate Partners
We salute our annual corporate partners for their significant and sustained support of The Center.
We are grateful to acknowledge the following corporations, firms and organizations that supported The Center with contributions of $5,000 or above.
- Alexander Wang
- Amida Care
- AQR Capital Management
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch
- Barneys New York
- BD Medical Technology
- Blackstone Alternative Asset Management
- Bloomberg Philanthropies
- BNP Paribas
- BNY Mellon
- Bridgewater Associates, LP
- Capital One
- Carolee LLC
- CIT Group
- Condé Nast
- Cravath, Swaine & Moore LLP
- Cryos International – USA, LLC
- CVS Health
- Davis Polk & Wardwell LLP
- Deutsche Bank
- Discovery Communications, Inc.
- Foxwoods Resort Casino
- Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson LLP
- Gay Parents To Be at RMACT
- Goldman Sachs
- Greenberg Traurig, LLP
- Holr Media Group
- Hunton Andrews Kurth
- Interpublic Group
- JPMorgan Chase & Co.
- Jackson Lewis LLP
- Kramer Levin Naftalis & Frankel LLP
- L’Oreal Luxe
- Latham & Watkins LLP
- Lizzie & Jonathan Tisch
- Marina Maher Communications
- Marsh & McLennan
- McDermott Will & Emery LLP
- McGivney & Kluger, P.C.
- McKinsey & Company, Inc.
- Morgan Stanley
- Mount Sinai Health System
- New England Fertility
- Lenox Health Greenwich Village
- Omnicom Health Group
- Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison, LLP
- Porter Novelli
- RBC Wealth Management
- Ropes & Gray LLP
- Shearman & Sterling LLP
- Simple Surrogacy
- Sullivan & Cromwell LLP
- Tito’s Handmade Vodka
- US Trust
- Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz
- Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP
- Ronald O. Perelman and Claudia Cohen Center for Reproductive Medicine of Weill Cornell Medicine
- Wells Fargo
- Wells Fargo Advisors
- WorldWide Surrogacy Specialists LLC
We are proud to recognize the following foundations that supported The Center’s diverse range of programs and services with grants of $5,000 or above.
- Bank of America Charitable Foundation
- Booth Ferris Foundation
- Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS
- Calamus Foundation
- Charles Hayden Foundation
- CVS Health
- David Bohnett Foundation
- David Geffen Foundation
- Herman Liebmann Foundation
- Hill-Snowdon Foundation
- Henry van Ameringen Foundation
- Hyde and Watson Foundation
- Joseph LeRoy and Ann C. Warner Fund
- Keith Haring Foundation
- Kors Le Pere Foundation
- Lily Auchincloss Foundation, Inc.
- M•A•C AIDS Fund
- MAXIMUS Foundation
- New York Community Trust
- Nike Community Impact Fund
- NoVo Foundation
- Palette Fund
- Redlich Horwitz Foundation
- Rocking Moon Foundation
- Runnymeade Foundation
- Rutgers Presbyterian Church
- S&P Global Foundation
- Ted Snowdon Foundation
- ViiV Healthcare
- Wells Fargo
Thank you for supporting The Center
and our mission.
Our doors are open 365 days a year.
Stop by for a visit and find your
community at The Center.
The Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender Community Center
208 W 13 St
New York, NY 10011